Monday, November 28, 2005

Canvas of Dreams

So for a long time, I have had the dream to have an outdoor room underneath the deck. Before the fire, it seemed my dream was a long way off. It was going to be a long time before we could change the existing windows to french doors, so I had to be satisfied with a partial step of putting in slate under the deck and framing the area with landscaping and flowers in boxes.

Since the fire, I have the opportunity to make this dream happen much sooner. The overall effect I want is to have an outdoor room. Ideally, it is one that would change season to season, provide treats to the senses (visual, olfactory and auditory) and would be a peaceful place in any weather.

I am going to redo the flower beds around the outside of the deck perimiter- there were peonies, daliahs, crocosmia, lavender, and morning glories. I also had a burgdeoning herb garden.

I will definately return to peonies, lavender, daliahs and crocosmia on the outside. I will probably add rosemary, snap dragons and sweet pea. On the inside, I will build (or buy) large flower boxes so there is an interior and exterior border. Under the steps I will do something staggered. I will have to do something with the posts, and I will have to hang flowers and other decorative elements from the roof. I think I will need some kind of solar powered fountain as well.

I don't know what to do in terms of plants under the deck. I will need partial sun and shade plants under the deck. I will also need to think about year round interest. What can I put under there that might bloom or at least hold an interesting form and shape through the winter. I may have to look into some kind of bush or something- or maybe some heather or heath?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home